Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Soundwalk

As I walked around the streets of the Upper East Side in New York City, I could not help but notice many of the keynotes, sound signals, and soundmarks that make up the familiar noises in this large city. Keynotes, otherwise known as background noises that I noticed while walking around consisted of cars, buses, and subways that all gave off different frequencies with every brake and acceleration each one made. Along with the noise each squeaky brake and roaring engine made, I also heard loud honks and horns that many impatient New Yorkers made in order to speed up their travels.  Another keynote that assured me I was in New York City was made by the rumbling subways that continuously pass each busy street. As I walked, I could not help but pay attention to the high pitched brake noises made by each subway I walked past. Along with keynotes, this busy city also contains many sound signals that allow one to recognize their whereabouts. Many sound signals included vendors promoting their businesses and homeless people asking for spare change in order to make a living. These sound signals most definitely caught my attention and helped remind me of the different kinds of people and ways of living there are in the city. Many people were seen playing instruments or talking on their phones or to their friends and family while walking the streets of New York. This made up the soundmarks that I heard while on my soundwalk. Many different voices filled the air including young babies and children, teenagers and old men and women. This made me realize that there are so many people packed in this one large city that make up the familiar sounds and noises that one would expect to hear when they are in New York City.

No comments:

Post a Comment